CryptoSteel Capsule review
- Tray is easy to get tiles from
- Lifetime satisfaction guarantee w/ refund (though Cryptosteel is notorious for poor customer service)
- Closed source (patent pending)
- Tiles could fall out, losing your backup
- Tray could be easily spilled
Who Should Buy a Seed Backup Device
Crypto investors with any significant sum of bitcoin
Crypto investors who want cold storage and wallet restoration
Crypto investors who want control over their own finances
Why Buy a Seed Backup?
With bitcoin’s solution to the double-spend problem, digital scarcity was introduced to the world. The ability to create a unique, unreplicable digital asset was a first of its kind.
The need to manage and safely back up such sensitive items was eventually found in the BIP 39 method.
These 12- or 24-word combinations are the sole source for restoring a bitcoin wallet and thus warrant significant protection.
Unboxing & Impressions
Contained within the box is a pair of molded plastic trays which house the tiles and Capsule.
The outer box unfolds to an inner diagram which assists assembly and identifying the locations of each letter or number.
A small piece of uncredited “thank you” artwork embossed on cardstock is included in the packaging, likely the work of Rafael Akahira.
The artwork prominently touts the words “open source” and obviously relates not to the Capsule, but rather to their previous cassette-based product.
The artwork doesn’t conform with the branding of the product and is generally unappealing.
Due to the poor fit with factual information, the half-hearted support (there is no outbound link to the artist on the website) and jarring aesthetics, the art would be better left out of the packaging of the Cryptosteel Capsule in my opinion.
The online marketing is unusual for such a device as well, being that one of the main images show it slung around the neck of a shirtless male model (surprisingly not nestled within the cleavage of a well-endowed female model).
This seems to purely be some kind of sex appeal or of suggesting potential buyers (the vast majority being men) to fancy themselves as alpha warrior types for choosing the product.
Storable Information Formats
- BIP39 (unabbreviated 12-word recovery seeds)
- BIP39 (4-letter abbreviations of 24-word recovery seeds)
- Shamir Backup SLIP0039 (4-letter abbreviations of 20-word recovery seeds)
- BIP32 root keysWIF private keys
- Monero mnemonic seeds (25-word recovery seeds)
- Random ASCII passwords
- Insurance account numbers
- Master passwords to your password manager
- Bank account info and passwords
- GPS coordinates
- Rainbow Codes
- Elliptic curve coordinates